The store category functionality has been updated to support nested categories, giving you more flexibility in how you merchandise your store.
With the new nested category functionality, you can now display one product in multiple categories which gives you more flexibility when organizing your storefront.
With the nesting feature, you are able to add a multiple “Parent” categories that can each have multiple “Child” categories.
TO ADD A PARENT CATEGORY:
1. Go to the product you wish to add to one or more categories
2. Click “Edit” next to “Categories”
3. Click the “+” to add a new category
TO ADD A CHILD CATEGORY:
1.Follow steps 1-5 above
2. Click the grey section of the category on the left and drag the category to the right so that it nests under the parent category
3.Once nested, you can drag it back to the left to make it a parent category should you choose. You may also update the hierarchy of the nested categories by dragging it to the desired location.
What happened to the old Category dropdown?
- Old category dropdown will be replaced by the new Nested Category. Do not worry, all of your category data will be migrated over so no additional work is required on your part!
- Q: Can I add a product to multiple categories?
- A: YES! You can add a product to as many parent or child categories as you like.
- Q: How do I delete a category?
- A: To delete a category click the “x” on the right hand side by the category
- Q: How do I rename a category?
- A: To rename a category you will need to create a new category, move the nested items under that new category and delete the old parent category.
- Q: Can I change the order that the categories or subcategories display in?
- A: Yes! You can do so in the Categories modal. Simply drag and drop the category into it's desired location.
- Q: What happens if I delete a category? Will my products in that category be lost?
- A: The category name will be removed upon deletion and the association to the products that are in that category will be removed as well. The products themselves will NOT be deleted.